Carob & Fennel Sweetmeats – Sugar Free Energy Snack
These sugar free little sweetmeats are a delicious alternative to chocolate or sweet snack. They are nutrient and energy rich, and while they are sugar free, the fennel adds an unusual sweet sensation counterbalanced by the chili (if you choose to use it) as well as aiding digestion. Take the chili out if you don’t want the subtle heat.
- ¼ cup linseed flaxseed
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup finely ground desiccated coconut
- 1-2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2-4 fresh medjool dates stones removed
- Zest of one orange – peel thinly if adding to Omniblend otherwise finely grated.
- 1 tblsp soaked goji berries optional
- 2 tblsp carob powder plus extra for rolling the sweetmeats
- ½ tsp chili flakes optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tblsp organic coconut oil
- A little water to mix if necessary
- Place all the ingredients in the Omniblend except the coconut oil and water.
- PULSE until blended until fine in texture, then add the coconut oil and blend again for about 35 seconds. If the mix doesn’t form a ball, add a tablespoon of water and blend again until it clumps together as dough would.
- Spoon out a teaspoonful at a time and roll between your palms to form an even ball, then roll in carob powder, desiccated coconut, poppy or sesame seeds, and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Recipe – Sarah La Touche (2010)