Ultimate Avocado Hummus
Avocados are cheap at the shops and markets in summer which makes this the perfect dip for over the holidays. Try it spread on crusty sourdough or wholegrain toast for the ultimate avocado toast.
- 2 avocados
- 400 g canned chickpeas
- 1 garlic clove finely grated or minced
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp jalapeno tabasco
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds or pine nuts
- 1 small bunch fresh italian parsley or coriander, picked
- Cut avocados around the stone length ways and twist to separate into halves. Remove stone with a spoon or by stabbing with a sharp knife and twisting it out. Place avocado flesh in Omniblend along with chickpeas, garlic, cumin, Tabasco, salt, tahini and lime juice. Blend until smooth, for about 1 minute.
- While the Omniblend is running, in a slow steady stream drizzle in the olive oil, taking about 1 minute. Transfer to an airtight container, cover surface with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- To serve, allow hummus to reach room temperature then transfer to a shallow bowl. Top with toasted seeds or pine nuts and fresh herbs then drizzle with more extra virgin olive oil.
Recipe adapted from www.eatwell.co.nz