Mint has been used for thousands of years
Mentioned in records from the ancient world, the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans were all familiar with this common garden herb.
Today, peppermint is a well-respected herbal medicine, used to help relieve digestive symptoms, including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), as well as for other health applications.
Peppermint is available as a herbal tea – which is the safest way to take it as a herbal remedy unless under the guidance of a qualified herbalist.
Here are some fabulous ways to use both the peppermint herb, and our fabulous Rich Earth pure organic Peppermint oil!
Here are Just a Few of My Favourite Ways to Use Peppermint Oil
1. Create a Focusing, Energising Blend
2. Increase Exercise Performance
Before a workout, add 1 drop of Rich Earth Organic Peppermint oil to 500mL water. Shake vigorously before consuming.
Researchers found that over an 10-day period of doing this, athletes had a number of positive changes in several parameters of exercise performance and respiratory function variables. This was not found in another study in which the oil was inhaled. The author’s hypothesised that the effect may be associated with stimulation of the Central Nervous System.
IMPORTANT: this involves ingestion of an essential oil, which is not without risks. Do not exceed 1 drop. Do not put in less than 500mL water. Do not take more than once daily. Do not consume if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
3. For a Headache
Don’t reach for the paracetamol. First address any headache aggravating factors:
- are you too hot? (see number 7 below).
- are you well hydrated? (Drink a glass of water).
- are you constipated? (Make an appointment).
None of the above, then rub 1 drop of Rich Earth Organic Peppermint Oil on the back of your neck, temples, or forehead. Be sure to wash your hands afterward to avoid getting the oil in your eyes.
4. Upset Stomach or Indigestion
If this is an unusual occurence for you, or you aren’t sure what’s going on, mix 1 drop of Rich Earth Organic Peppermint Oil in a teaspoon of a carrier oil such as sweet almond (or whatever you have) and rub it over your abdomen area. Make a peppermint leaf tea and drink that as well. If you have ongoing digestive problems, an appointment with one of our qualified consultants is recommended.
5. Occasional Nausea
Open the bottle of Rich Earth Organic Peppermint oil , and hold it close to your nose. Breathe deeply in and out for half a minute or so. This is great to take travelling – for example if someone is feeling carsick. Works like a charm!
6. To Clear Airways and Stuffy Sinuses
Rub 1 drop of Rich Earth Organic Peppermint oil over the sinuses or over the lungs. Caution: When rubbing peppermint on the face, avoid getting too close to the eyes, as it will sting!
7. Cool Down When Your Body is Overheated
Rub 1-2 drops of peppermint up and down the spine. Very effective, but you might need to get a helper to apply it. Another option is to make up a wee personal spray bottle:
For 100mL of spray, mix 5 drops of Rich Earth Organic Peppermint oil with about 10mL of vodka (this disperses the oil). Then top up with water.
Use as a cooling mist spray (great for menopausal hot flushes!)
8. Increase Protection for the Respiratory System
Combine 20 drops Rich Earth Organic Peppermint oil , 20 drops Rich Earth Organic Cold Pressed Lemon Oil, 20 drops Rich Earth Organic Lavender Fine, 5 drops Rich Earth Organic Eucalyptus Oil, and 10 drops of Rich Earth Wild Harvest Frankincense Oil and in a 10ml glass roller ball and top with Sweet Almond oil or Organic Jojoba Oil.
Swipe the blend over the sinuses to aid your defenses against allergies and other environmental triggers.
9. Soothe Achy Joints or Muscles
Fill the bath with warm water, add 1 cup of epsom salts and 3 drops of Rich Earth Organic Peppermint oil . Agitate to disperse. Add your body. Soak for 20 minutes.
10. Massage Supreme
A massage using peppermint oil is a fabulous way to ease aching muscles. The contradictory heating and cooling effect is quite something.
Recommended dilution is 2-3 drops Rich Earth Organic Peppermint Oil in 25mL of carrier oil (such as sweet almond oil or jojoba oil). For extra benefit, add 5 drops Rich Earth Organic Lavender Fine or 4 drops Rich Earth Organic Sweet Marjoram Oil.
And you’ll come out smelling as fresh as you feel!
What Do We Know About Safety?
- Peppermint oil appears to be safe when taken orally (by mouth) in the doses commonly used. Excessive doses of peppermint oil can be toxic.
- Possible side effects of peppermint oil include allergic reactions and heartburn. Capsules containing peppermint oil are often enteric-coated to reduce the likelihood of heartburn. If enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules are taken at the same time as antacids, the coating can break down too quickly.
- Like other essential oils, peppermint oil is highly concentrated. It is not advised to consume undiluted essential oil unless under the care of a suitably qualified health practitioner.
- Side effects of applying peppermint oil to the skin can include skin rashes and irritation.
- Peppermint oil should not be applied, or administered to infants or young children because serious side effects may occur if they inhale the menthol in the oil.
- Not recommended for those with reflux, hiatal hernia or kidney stones.
- No harmful effects of peppermint leaf tea have been reported. However, the long-term safety of consuming large amounts of peppermint leaf is unknown.