Homemade Paleo Protein Bars (makes 8 bars)
Recipe by Natalie Brady,
Holistic Nutritionist If you’re not one for making your own healthy snacks I highly recommend at least trying this recipe for Paleo Protein Bars you can make in your own kitchen. Seriously – you can’t go wrong! It’s so nutritious and is the perfect satiating afternoon snack. What’s more, each generous-sized bar is loaded with healthy fat and gives just over 10 g protein and just 9 g carbs. There’s no better way to ensure your health stays on track than making your own food. Store-bought protein bars are often filled with additives and nasty ingredients that aren’t doing your health any favours. What I recommend is to give this recipe a go, with this simple, healthy recipe – You can’t go wrong. There is something so satisfying about making your own healthy snacks – they also taste SO much better than the processed kind. Ingredients (base)
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (eg Clean Lean, Chocolate flavour)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark choc chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Add almonds and sunflower seeds into a food processor, process to a flour-like consistency.
- Add all the remaining base ingredients into the food processor and process together until well combined.
- Line a square baking dish with baking paper. Tip mixture in and press firmly into the baking dish.
- Melt dark chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together thoroughly and then pour over base.
- Place dish into the freezer for 1-2 hours to set. Once set, remove from freezer, take the slice out of the baking dish and slice into 8 bars. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 5-7 days.
TIP: You’ll get even better nutrition by pre-soaking the almonds & sunflower seeds, and then drying them fully in a warm oven or dehydrator. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! Link to the original posting here