Looking for a real watermelon flavour hit? The Omniblend can be used to make all sorts of jams. Try this summery watermelon jam, and spread it on your scones, pikelets or pancakes!
- 2 kgs watermelon peeled and cut into chunks. Deseeding is optional (the seeds have nutritional value and will “disappear” when blended)
- 1 Granny Smith apple peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 kg jam-setting sugar or use raw sugar and 2g of pectin
- 1 tsp butter
- Best using the 2 L Omni- jar: First use PULSE to blend the apple, 1 cup of the watermelon chunks, and lemon juice together until smooth. Progressively add the watermelon in batches in your Omniblender Pulse until coarsely puréed. You should have about 4 cups of purée.
- Pour the purée into a large, stainless steel saucepan. Add the sugar (and pectin if using), stir over a low heat, until dissolved. Add the butter and bring to a rolling boil. Cook for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Skim off any foam. Test for setting. If it doesn’t start setting when a little is placed on a cold saucer, then quickly return it to the boil for 30 seconds. Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.
Image, recipe adapted from https://www.eatwell.co.nz/