Oregano Essential Oil . 100% Pure Organic 5mL
Oregano essential oil, steam distilled from the oregano plant, Origanum vulgare. A concentrated source of compounds that occur naturally in the plant, with proven use as an antibacterial, antioxidant and digestive aid.
Origanum vulgaris 100% organic, steam distilled oil of oregano oil. 5mL
Origin ~ Morocco/Europe*
Aroma ~ Warm, spicy and herbaceous aroma.
Uses ~ Antimicrobial, Coughs, Digestion.
Major Constituents ~ Carvacrol, thymol, p-Cymene, Gamma-Terpinene, linalol
Blends well with ~ Bay Laurel, Bergamot, Cedarwood, Chamomile, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Petitgrain, Pine, Rosemary, Tea tree, Thyme
Research Using Oregano Oil
- Oregano contains between 3 and 30 times the levels of antioxidants found in thyme, marjoram, and St. John’s Wort.
- Gram per gram, oregano also provides 4 times as much antioxidant as blueberries. This is thought to be mostly due to its rosmarinic acid content (REF).
- Remember that oregano oil extract is extremely concentrated, so much less of the oil is needed to provide the same antioxidant benefits as fresh oregano.
- One study (using a different type of oregano oil), found that patients with mildy elevated cholesterol who consumed the water byproduct of steam distillation (this is the same as how rosewater is produced) for three months showed beneficial effects on their cholesterol levels, antioxidant status,and blood vessel dilation (ref)
- Carvacrol is believed to be the main bacterial-fighting compounts in oregano.
- Studies in animals have found that, when tested against common bacteria, oregano essential oil is almost as effective as antibiotics (ref, ref)
- In the lab, the essential oil of oregano has demonstrate efficacty against 5 different types of Candida (which can cause oral and vaginal thrush) (ref)
Remember, these are laboratory studies and we still don't have data from studies conducted in humans.
In one very small study, emulsifed oregano oil was given to adults with stool tests positive for parasites. After 6 weeks complete resolution was acheived in some, with redcution in colony counts and symptoms in others (ref).
In another study (in pigs), the essential oil demonstrated protection of the gut lining against damage from inflammation (mainly from E.coli) and promoted gut integrity (thus protecting against leaky gut).
NOTE: Oregano oil is very powerful and may also have a detrimental effect on your good gut bacteria!
Not recommended to be taken orally. Best diluted 1 drop per 5mL of carrier oil.
Oregano oil contains thymol, a phenol. In high doses, thymol is an irritant which might affect the skin or internal organs. It can cause:
- gastric distress
- central hyperactivity (inappropriate talkativeness)
Oregano oil should never be applied to broken skin or used on or near the eyes. A moderate risk of mucous membrane irritation and skin sensitisation is associated with oregano oil use.
Oregano oil may cause an allergic reaction in some people. If you’re allergic to oregano or to other plants in the Lamiaceae family, such as mint, sage, basil, and lavender, don’t use oregano oil.
Recommended for use under professional supervision.
Oregano essential oil is contraindicated during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
A maximum of 1.0% concentration is recommended for sensitive skin.Be cautious if using on hypersensitive, diseased or damaged skin.
Organic Certificate ~ This Essential Oil is certified Organic by the Soil Association which means you can be sure that it has been produced to the highest ethical and environmental standards. The Soil Association’s standards exceed the UK government's minimum requirements for organic products in many areas but particularly in animal welfare, GM and the use of pesticides. Standards are constantly reviewed to ensure they deal with current issues.
*Country of origin may vary depending on harvest successes and availability.
|Dimensions||3 × 3 × 6 cm|