Functional tests focus on actual bodily functions as marker of health, rather than only looking at disease states and markers of disease. Samples of your blood, saliva, urine, stool, hair or breath are used to determine the levels of function in your body.
At House of Health we offer numerous functional tests that can pinpoint areas of dysfunction in your body. Rather than waiting for disease to strike, we can identify and treat a functional imbalance before it becomes an overt illness.
In addition to regular blood tests offered by physicians, such as full blood count, glucose, cholesterol and thyroid tests etc, we offer unique functional tests your regular doctor doesn’t do. Most tests performed at doctor’s offices aim to assess pathology and sickness. They are excellent tools for figuring out actual disease. With the emergence of functional and nutritional medicine, tests have been developed to identify imbalances and interactions of physiological systems.
Functional Tests (In-House)
At House of Health we are able to perform the following tests at the time of your appointment. Extra charges may apply.
- Blood Pressure measurement
- Blood Glucose measurement
- Blood Type Test (A, B, O)
- BMI calculation (Body Mass Index)
- Bio-Impedance Analysis (Body fat percentage)
- Indicans test for Leaky Gut
- Live Blood Analysis
- *Mood Assessment Questionairre
- *Salivary and Urinary pH test
- *Hydrogen-Methane Breath tests for SIBO, Lactose Intolerance, Fructose Intolerance.
- QRA Kinesiology Testing for nutrient need
* can also be done at home Inquire here.
Though we can’t list every test available, we provide here an idea of the wide range of tests available through our clinic. Note that most of these tests are sent to overseas laboratories, simply because we don’t have the population in NZ to support such specialised labs. For chronic conditions, functional laboratory tests can help identify the true cause of disease.
Tests for Allergies
True allergies are relatively uncommon. Most folk with food-related problems need to have the underlying cause diagnosed and addressed. IgG antibody panels can give useful information about what foods are possibly able to cross a “leaky gut”. Once this is healed, these foods can be reintroduced to the diet.
- Serum IgG and IgE Antibody Panels for Foods, Spices and Herbs
- IgG Antibody Panels for Foods, Spices and Herbs
NOTE: we do not provide or recommend using hair to test for allergies. There is insufficient evidence that this method has any merit.
Mineral and Toxin Tests
- Body Mineral Status (Laboratory certified analysis of minerals in human hair)
- Toxic Element Test (Urine)
- Active Elements Mineral Assessment (online)
- Organic Pollutants (Solvents, Phthlates etc)
Hormonal profile tests/ Endocrine Functional Tests
- Women’s Hormonal Profile (urine or saliva):
- Menopause Profile test
- Men’s Hormonal Profile (urine or saliva)
- Adrenal Fatigue/Stress
- Comprehensive Thyroid test
- Sleep Dysfunction
Metabolic Function Tests
- Osteoporosis test (Bone resorption test) Also known as Urinary Telopeptides
- Comprehensive Urinary Metabolic Profile (Also known as Urinary Organic Acids Test)
- Gastrointestinal function
- Hepatic detoxification
(please contact us for details about these tests)
Tests for Minerals and Toxins
Body Mineral Status
- Hair Mineral test
- Testing using hair is a painless, non-invasive way to assess the mineral and toxin (heavy metal) status of the body. Mineral nutrients and trace elements are needed by the body in both the correct amounts and appropriate ratios. It can be extremely destructive to take mineral nutrients and trace element supplements (calcium, magnesium, selenium, etc.) without knowing the exact internal levels and balance of minerals and trace elements.
- NOTE: We do not offer hair allergy tests as these do no have any scientific basis whatsoever.
- Analysis of body tissue is the most most reliable method to measure the mineral and trace element levels and balance in the human body and to test for the presence of the greatest range of toxic materials. Hair is a convenient tissue to use for testing. Prior to a hair mineral test being taken, will be given instructions regarding shampoo types, hair dyes etc. In the absence of head hair, pubic hair may be used (not a mix).
- A sample report can be found here (PDF)
- Measure your daily excretion of minerals and toxins. For a sample report, click here.
- Metabolic Function Tests
- Urinary Organic Acids Test
- Osteoporosis Test (Urinary Telopeptides)
- This is an assessment of your bone resorption. It is a simple, direct urinary measure useful in identifying current rate of bone loss and to monitor how effective bone support therapies are. It has a number of advantages over Bone Density Scanning, which uses radiation, which is a well-known cancer-causing energy and is subject to error and interpretation. By contrast, the bone resorption test gives information relating to the rate of bone turnover now. When bone breakdown exceeds bone building, the by-products (telopeptides) are measurable in the urine and the effectiveness of nutritional interventions to correct this are able to be determined quickly.
- Metabolic Type Testing
- Completing an online questionnaire, which is computer analysed enables you to find out which of your fundamental homeostatic controls is running your show!
- Read more about Metabolic Typing here.
- A results session (required when results are back) typically takes one hour.
Serum IgE & IgG
- This test involves taking a blood sample which is sent to US Biotek in the USA for analysis using reputable ELISA methodology. Every analyse tested for every immunology is run in complete duplicate for precision, that is, consistently reproducible results.
- The simplest version of this a comprehensive food allergy test covers 96 foods. A vegetarian option is also available. Add-on panels of an extra 15 foods, 48 herbs and spices.
- A blood sample is obtained by finger-prick collection in the clinic – this is analysed using reputable ELISA methodology by US Biotek in the USA, where every analyte tested for every immunoassay is run in complete duplicate for precision, (ie; consistently reproducible results.)
- The simplest version of this a comprehensive food allergy test covers 96 foods. A vegetarian option is also available. Add-on panels of an extra 15 foods, 48 herbs and spices are also available.
For current prices please contact us.