Functional tests focus on actual bodily functions as markers of health, rather than merely looking at disease states and markers of disease. Samples of your blood, saliva, urine, stool, hair or breath can be used to determine the function of a number of processes in your body.
At House of Health we offer a wide range of functional tests that can pinpoint areas of dysfunction in your body. Rather than waiting for disease to develop, we believe there is merit in identifying and addressing functional imbalances before they become overt illness. This is health care at it’s best.
In addition to regular blood tests offered by physicians, such as full blood count, glucose, cholesterol and thyroid tests etc, we offer unique functional tests that most regular doctors don’t do. Routine tests aim to assess diseases and monitor sickness and as such are excellent tools for diagnosing disease, but with the emergence of functional and nutritional medicine, and array of tests have been developed to identify imbalances and interactions of your body’s systems.
Functional Tests (In-House)
At House of Health we are able to perform the following tests at the time of your appointment. Extra charges may apply.
- Blood Pressure measurement
- Blood Glucose measurement
- BMI calculation (Body Mass Index)
- Bio-Impedance Analysis (Body fat percentage)
- Urine pH test
- *Hydrogen-Methane Breath tests for SIBO, Lactose Intolerance, Fructose Intolerance.
* can also be done at home enquire here.
Though we can’t list every test available, here is a sampling of the wide range of tests available through our clinic. Note that most of these tests are sent to overseas laboratories, simply because we don’t have the population in NZ to support such specialised labs. For chronic conditions, functional laboratory tests can help identify the true cause of your dysfunction.
Tests for Allergies
True allergies are relatively uncommon. Most folk with food-related problems need to have the underlying cause identified and addressed. IgG antibody panels can give useful information about what foods are possibly able to cross a “leaky gut”. Once this is healed, these foods can be reintroduced to the diet.
NOTE: we do not provide or recommend using hair to test for allergies. There is insufficient evidence that this method has any merit.
Mineral and Toxin Tests
- Body Toxin and Mineral Status Laboratory certified analysis of minerals in human hair.
- Toxic Burden (Urine)
- Active Elements Mineral Assessment (online)
- Organic Pollutants (Solvents, Phthlates etc)
- Organic Acids Test: Markers of Toxic Burden (Detox pathways) and DNA damage (Urine)
Hormonal profile tests/ Endocrine Functional Tests
- Women’s Comprehensive Hormonal Profile (urine)
- Menopause Profile test
- Men’s Hormonal Profile (urine or saliva)
- Adrenal Fatigue/Stress
- Comprehensive Thyroid test
- Sleep Dysfunction
Metabolic Function Tests
- Osteoporosis test (Bone resorption test) Also known as Urinary Telopeptides
- Comprehensive Urinary Metabolic Profile (Also known as Urinary Organic Acids Test)
- Gastrointestinal function
- Stool Culture – Bacteria, Yeast & Parasites* (Based on University Research and peer-reviewed publications)
- Stool Analysis – markers of digestion, gut inflammation, bacteria, yeasts & parasites
- Stool DNA analysis
- Liver detoxification – specific markers on Organic Acids Test
Please contact us for details about these tests
* this is our preferred stool test for bacterial ecology in your gut. Contact us
Tests for Minerals and Toxins
Body Mineral Status
- Hair Mineral test
- Testing using hair is a painless, non-invasive way to assess the mineral and toxin (heavy metal) status of the body. Mineral nutrients and trace elements are needed by the body in both the correct amounts and appropriate ratios. It can be extremely destructive to take mineral nutrients and trace element supplements (calcium, magnesium, selenium, etc.) without knowing the exact internal levels and balance of minerals and trace elements.
- NOTE: We do not offer hair allergy tests as there is no evidence validating them as a reliable diagnostic tool.
- Analysis of body tissue is the most most reliable method to measure the mineral and trace element levels and balance in the human body and to test for the presence of the greatest range of toxic materials. Hair is a convenient tissue to use for testing. Prior to a hair mineral test being taken, will be given instructions regarding shampoo types, hair dyes etc. In the absence of head hair, pubic hair may be used (not a mix).
- A sample report can be found here (PDF)
Active Elements® – Cell Salt Mineral Therapy
The Active Elements® formulas combine Homoeopathically prepared mineral salts with their physical
mineral counterparts, thus linking the energetic and physical properties of the mineral elements. Click here to find out more and take a FREE assessment to determine your need for Cell Salt minerals
- Measure your daily excretion of minerals and toxins. For a sample report, click here.
- Metabolic Function Tests
- Urinary Organic Acids Test
- Osteoporosis Test (Urinary Telopeptides)
- This is an assessment of your bone resorption. It is a simple, direct urinary measure useful in identifying current rate of bone loss and to monitor how effective bone support therapies are. It has a number of advantages over Bone Density Scanning, which uses radiation, which is a well-known cancer-causing energy and is subject to error and interpretation. By contrast, the bone resorption test gives information relating to the rate of bone turnover now. When bone breakdown exceeds bone building, the by-products (telopeptides) are measurable in the urine and the effectiveness of nutritional interventions to correct this are able to be determined quickly.
Serum IgE & IgG
- This test involves taking a blood sample which is sent to US Biotek in the USA for analysis using reputable ELISA methodology. Every analyte tested is run in complete duplicate for precision, to ensure consistently reproducible results.
- The simplest version of this a comprehensive food allergy test covers 96 foods. A vegetarian option is also available. Add-on panels of an extra 15 foods, 48 herbs and spices. IgG is also available on it’s own.
For current prices please contact us.